The end of the year is the perfect time to wrap up the school year with some amazing picture books! Here are my personal favorites that will help your students reflect on their memories and inspire them as they look to the future.
Disclosure: The links are affiliated links, meaning that I will earn a commission if you click through the links and make a purchase.
- A LETTER FROM YOUR TEACHER ON THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL by Shannon Olsen & Illustrated by Sandie Sonke – This is a wonderful book that reflects back on the school year filled with beautiful memories, teachable moments, and lessons learned together from a teacher’s perspective. It’s heartwarming and gives insights into the love of a teacher for her students.
- WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A CHANCE? by Kobi Yamada & Illustrated by Mae Besom- This beautifully written story follows a child as he follows his heart and sees the possibilities of what could happen if he learns to be brave and takes a chance.
- DEAR BOY by Paris Rosenthal AND Jason B. Rosenthal & Illustrated by Holly Hatam- Written as a companion to DEAR GIRL, this book offers sweet and meaningful advice to little boys as they grow and find their own path
- DEAR GIRL by Paris Rosenthal AND Jason B. Rosenthal & Illustrated by Holly Hatam- This book is truly a sweet and endearing love letter to little girls as they navigate through the journey in life and find their own voice and path.
- I WISH YOU HAPPINESS by Michael Wong & Illustrated by Baratashvili – A book filled with loving wishes for the reader no matter what path they may choose and luminous illustrations that will take your breath away.
- I BELIEVE I CAN by Grace Byers & Illustrated by Keturah A. Bobo- This book is perfect to remind students that they have agency, courage, and all that it takes to be the best version of themselves every day.
- I AM ONE (A BOOK OF ACTION) by Susan Verde & Illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds – This is a lovely, inspirational book that reminds students that while each of them is only one person, they too can make a difference and a change.
- STICK AND STONE by Beth Ferry & Illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld- Stick and Stone work together to help Stick search for his family. However, Stone learns that maybe, he has already found it all along.
- A LETTER TO MY TEACHER by Deborah Hopkinson & Illustrated by Nancy Carpenter- Written from a child’s perspective, this endearing story follows the footsteps of a student as she traces back the classroom memories that brought her joy and her teacher closer to her.
- LAST DAY BLUES by Julie Dunneberg & Illustrated Judy Love- Wrap the school year with the beloved teacher who had First Day Jitters to her last day of school as she experiences the last day blues.
For more End-of-the-Year activities and resources, click on the images below!